Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Lure of Print

When I started playing organ in high school it was a thrill to see my name in the church bulletin.  "Diane Lewis, Organist"  I fingered the bulletin admiring my name in print.  The page said I was An Organist and so I must be one.

Now my thrill is tossing words up on the screen.  The font is Arial and each little p d q looks perfect.  Orange headlines herald Important Topics Everyone Wants To Read.  Official.  Published.

But things are turning full circle.

Today I thought of handwriting's intimacy - more precious now that it's rare.  Visual imprints of dear ones from far away.  Casual words.  Easy to take for granted.

My teachers' handwriting.  Mary Stanton's red G # scrawled on the Chopin score.  The assignment book with detailed instructions from David Almond.  Jeffrey's neat rune print.   Attentive letters from Alex.  Christmas cards from Marilyn signed "Blessings" or "As always" saved in a shoe box.


2 comments:

  1. I used to write the best letters ever. I should try my hand again. This was a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have sent me on a mental journey remembering first bylines and other things once so important now still able to bring a smile. Thank you for this, though I am reading it at a later date it is as valid as ever!

    ReplyDelete