Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

This happened once before - years ago when we were vacationing in the Adirondacks.  I had signed up for a class in birch bark art.  At cocktail time I ran into the teacher who said, "Why weren't you in class today?"  "Oh, I'm signed up for the Wednesday class."  "Today is Wednesday."  I had entered into the fullness of vacation mode.

I posted a blog yesterday, thinking it was Thursday.  That doesn't mean I have Early Onset Altzheimers does it?  Tell me it doesn't. 

I just finished reading "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova.  The book is a fictional, but realistic account of a 50-year-old Harvard psychology professor losing her memory.  I couldn't put it down, wondering if I was reading about my future.  Now every time I walk into a room and say, "What did I come in here for?" I think of Alice in the novel.  Fortunately this hasn't yet happened to me in a bathroom stall.

I'm just enjoying the dog days of summer.



2 comments:

  1. Wait...what day is this?? I thought it was Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought yesterday was thursday as well and was going to read your blog until i realized it was wednesday so i didn't bother. had i bothered, i'd have discovered you thought it was thursday as well. we would have shared another moment of synchronicity ...

    as far as forgetfulness goes, i read a book at some time in my 20s called "the silva mind control method" by jose silva, and the book explained how the mind works and showed you how to control your mind instead of your mind controlling you. it was a fascinating read, and i still use the techniques to this day, not only to remember things, but to awaken at a designated time without an alarm clock. the only problem is, i still set two alarm clocks every night, just in case. but i awaken before they go off and turn them off. ocd's a bitch.

    thinking about the book on mind control reminded me of a book on magic i read in the 90s. i believe i have the book somewhere, and i'll give you the referral when i happen upon it. i remember i was reading the chapter on invisibility and practicing the exercises. now at the time, i'd walk to work every morning, enter through the front door of the building, and pass by the guard with a "good morning" greeting. one particular day, i passed her by while she was speaking with someone, and she didn't seem to notice me, so i said nothing. around 10 a.m. while she was doing her rounds, she saw me at my desk and approached with "when did you get in to work?" i told her i got to work my usual time and walked right passed her, into the building. "i didn't see you at all," she said. "well, that's because i've been practicing my invisibility," i replied. she gave me a puzzled look. it was a moment of personal triumph for me, and i continued to practice my invisibility diligently. i was ignored by people for years.

    -ton ami alain

    ReplyDelete